What is Psyllium Husks?
Also referred to as isabggol or ispaghula, the Psyllium seed Husks are a part of the plant Plantago ovate which is a native of Pakistan, Bangladesh and India. Psyllium seed Husks are mostly used to assist in the loss of excessive weight and to relieve digestion issues such as irritable bowel syndrome, constipation and diarrhea. The Psyllium Husk has a wide array of health benifits that have made it a popular product for the health conscious demegraphic. Here is a brief but detailed rundown of some of the benifits that Psyllium has on the body.
Psyllium Husk Benefits
Psyllium Husk is rich in both soluble and insoluble fiber.
Some of the benifits of natural fiber contained in Psyllium is that it can provide the fiber you need without requiring you to alter your normal diet. The soluble fiber is Psyllium significantly slows down digestion and controls the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream preventing sugar levels from spiking up consequently preventing fat accumulation.
Additionally, the soluble fats also lower cholesterol levels and this reduces susceptibility to cardiac related aliments. The insoluble fiber which is also prevent in Psyllium helps promote regular bowel movement.
Psyllium Husk is effective in significantly reducing bowel problems.
Psyllium is also a bulk-forming laxative. This essentially means that it Psyllium Husks soak up water in the gut making bowel movements easier. It soaks up water by swelling when it comes in contact with water and reliable studies shown that it can absorb water that is 8 to 16 times it weight.
Psyllium Husk form a gelatin like mass in the colon which softens the stool incredibly hence reducing vulnerability to constipation related complications such as anal fissures and hemorrhoids. This will ensure that bowel movements are regular and there in no flatulence or bloating. Apart from softening the stool, this gluten like mass also absorbs toxins, bacteria and germs that are located along the diggestive tract. Additionally, the gluten like mass also absorbs excess bile which contains accumulated cholesterol.
In case a person is suffering from inflammation along the digestive tract, Psyllium will act as an inflammatory agent that soothes the walls of the digestive system. It acheives this because it contains muscilage which is not only cooling but also slippery.
Common bowel-related issues such as hermorrhoids can be resolved using Psyllium Husks. Since hemorrhoids from when a person consistently strains when eliminating hard stool, consuming Psyllium together with large quantities of water will ensure stools are soft and easy to eliminate.
Psyllium Husks stimule peristalsis (muscle like contractions which enable the easy movement of food along the digestive tract). Consequently this reduces constipation. Indians have been using Psyllium Husks to reduce constipation for many years while Europeans have been using it to ensure healthy bowel movements. However, Psyllium Husks are a relatively new concept in the west that is rising in popularity.
Psyllium Husk for Weight Loss
Since the Psyllium Husks swells up to ten to twenty times its original size when in contact with water, it creates the illusion of full stomach hence reducing the amount of food a person consumes considerably. The illusion of a full stomach reduces hunger and prevents binge eating hence aiding in loss of weight. Experts have established that Psyllium Husks work well if taken at least twenty minutes before a meal because they cause fullness that results in eating less. When on a diet or trying to control portions, Psyllium will come in handy as the fealing of fullness will make adhering to a diet much easier.
Psyllium Husk is arguably the best supplement as it has extremely low calories approximately 32 calories per two tablespoons. This mean a person can confortably consume Psyllium Husks without running the risk of adding excess calories.
Additionally, Psyllium Husk removes waste accumulated in the colon making a person feel lighter.
Guidelines to Follow when Consuming Psyllium Husk
1. Ensure that Psyllium Husk is taken together with a liquid preferably water. Desist from eating Psyllium Husk on its own as this can cause digestion issues. Apart from water, you can mix this effective dietary supplement with a variety of healthy liquids such as vegetable smoothies, fruit juices, stew, soups, ice cream, yofurt and even milk.
2. Consume a lot of liquids before and after consuming the Psyllium Husk. This is because since the Psyllium Husk absorbs a lot of water and moisture it can easily make a person dehydrated. If you are taking Psyllium ensure you drink at least eight glasses of water to avoid getting dehydrated. Essentially, it is not easy to swallow Psyllium Husk without water therefore for convenience take it with water.
3. Pregnant should avoid consuming Psyllium Husk because pregnant women need to stay dehydrated consistently and constantly. Additionally they are also bloated all the time and need to eat nutritious food; this is impossible the Psyllium Husk fill the stomach.
4. Desist from consuming Psyllium Husk immediately after and before a meal. Either take it some minutes before and after a meal or consume it in-between meal to avoid tampering with digestion.
5. Psyllium Husk has no nutritional benefit therefore it should not be a substitue for a balance diet. It is a strictly a supplement and not a nutritional food that adds value to your diet.
Psyllium Husks Side Effects
Since Psyllium Husk are completely natural they cannot harm the body in any way. Unlike some natural laxatives that are addictive, Psyllium Husks can be regularly consumed without the chance of becoming addictive. The user has full control of when to take this supplement and how to take it.
A user has to keep in mind that since Psyllium Husk is natural bulking gent, it needs to be taken together with a lot of water. For precautionary purposes it is advisable that one tablespoon should be accompanied by two glasses of water. Since Psyllium absorbs a huge amount of water, it wil be ineffective if taken without water as it will cause constipation. If you have either diabetes or diverticulitis, you should seek a doctor’s advice and guidance to sensure you consume Psyllium in a healthy way that will not harm your overall healthy or worsen your symptoms.
Serious allergic reactions to Psyllium are extremely rare but user should avoid over consumption and take it with a liquid to avoid choking.
A common side effect of taking Psyllium Husk is mild stomach cramping especially for a new user, Since this is a common symptopm that is mostly caused by insufficient consumption of water, you should sek medicial advice and guidance. The doctor will ascertain whether it is safe to continue consuming Psyllium Husks or not.
If you have a medical history of appendicitis or stomach blockage then you need to consult a doctor before taking Psyllium Husks.
If you are taking any other medication then you should seek medical advice before taking Psyllium Husks to ensure the medication foes not interfere with the medication you are taking.
People with a history of kidney disease must seek the medical advice before consuming Psyllium Husk.
Round up of 7 Amazing Ways Psyllium Husk Helps you Lose Weight
If you are a health conscious person then there is not doubt that you are always on the lookout for a natural way of maintaining a normal body weight. Psyllium Husks completely lives to the hype and will help you lose weight. If you are wondering why Psyllium Husks have become the biggest craze in the weight loss scence, there are 7 amazing weight loss benifits that will absolutely make you want to try out Psyllium Husks.
1. An exhaustive and thorough study by University of Maryland ascertained that Psyllium Husks suppress appetite. Since Psyllium will swell once in the stomach it will make a person feel full and make them lose their appetite.
2. Psyllium is rich in dietary fiber which improves digestion and nutrient absorption ensuring that all food you consume is optimally utilised.
3. Psyllium Husks come in handy in the treatment of digestive disorders that can hinder healthy dieting. Since Psyllium makes digestion and elimination easier and stress free, it will make dieting an easier experience.
4. Psyllium Husks ensure that harmful toxins consumed together with food are removed before absorption. If these harrmful toxins are absorbed to the body, they can cause harm and lead to excessive weight gain which is undesirable.
5. Research has unequivocally established that Psyllium Husk absorbs excess cholesterol. Studies done by reliable sources have ascertained that consistent consumption of Psyllium Husks considerably decreases the levels of cholesterol in a person’s body. Reduced levels of cholesterol not only control weight gain but also decrease vulnerability to cardiac aliments.
6. Psyllium Husks literally clean and empty your insides. It is very uncomfortable walking around with accumulated fecal matter. This amazing dietary supplement will effectively clean out your bowels.
7. Psyllium Husks can seamlessly fit into any diet you are trying out. since all healthy diets prominently feature water and other healthy liquids such as fruit juice, you can add this supplement to your diet no matter how strict the diet in question is.
Psyllium Husk and Diabetes
Diabetics are required to not only maintain a healthy balance between insulin and blood glucose but also need to watch their weight and ensure they don’t gain too much too fast. Reliable research indicates that Psyllium helps maintain a healthy glycemic balance hence helping to mantain a healthy blood glucose level.
However Psyllium treatments for a diabetic should be specifically tailored to cater for the particular needs of each diabetic patient. With the guidance of a doctor, a diabetic patient will be able to come up with Psyllium regimen that works for them.
Psyllium Husk is a natural gluten free fiber that can be used to bake healthy desserts.
Although trafitionally consumed simply as a supplement, this fiber rich supplement can also be used to bake healthy gluten-free desserts. If you are a sweet tooth then you know that most gluten free desserts are dry and crumbly. Psyllium Husks will resolve this problem because it will act as a moisturizing gel when combined with water. If you are on gluten free diet and want a delicious dessert then make Psyllium Husk a compulsory ingredient. This way you are able to lose weight and still indulge in your favocrite dessert.
Psyllium Husk is definitely a dietary supplement that is worth trying out!