- Overweight and obesity. Nutrition Care Manual. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. http://www.nutritioncaremanual.org. Accessed June 2, 2014.
- Ajala O, et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of different dietary approaches to the management of type 2 diabetes. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2013;97:505.
- Esfahani A, et al. The application of the glycemic index and glycemic load in weight loss: A review of the clinical evidence. IUBMB Life. 2011;63:7.
- Livesey G, et al. Glycemic response and health — A systematic review and meta-analysis: Relations between dietary glycemic properties and health outcomes. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2008;87:258S.
- Kristo AS, et al. Effect of diets differing in glycemic index and glycemic load on cardiovascular risk factors: Review of randomized controlled-feeding trials. Nutrients. 2013;5:1071.
- Hensrud DD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 30, 2014.
- Venn BJ, et al. Glycemic index and glycemic load: Measurement issues and their effect on diet-disease relationships. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2007;61 Suppl 1:S122.
- Simin L, et al. Dietary carbohydrates. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 30, 2014.
- Atkinson FS, et al. International tables of glycemic index and glycemic load values: 2008. Diabetes Care. 2008;31:2281.
- Glycemic index and diabetes. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/glycemic-index-and-diabetes.html. Accessed May 30, 2014.
- Bornet FR, et al. Glycaemic response to foods: Impact on satiety and long-term weight regulation. Appetite. 2007;49:535.
- Tight diabetes control. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/tight-diabetes-control.html. Accessed June 10, 2014.
- Fleming P, et al. Low-glycaemic index diets in the management of blood lipids: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Family Practice. 2013;30:485.
- Goff LM, et al. Low glycaemic index diets and blood lipids: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases. 2013;23:1.
- Karl JP, et al. Effect of glycemic load on eating behavior self-efficacy during weight loss. Appetite. 2014;80C:204.
- Dietary guidelines for Americans, 2010. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.dietaryguidelines.gov. Accessed May 30, 2014.
Jönsson T, Granfeldt Y, Ahrén B, Branell UC, Pålsson G, Hansson A, Söderström M, Lindeberg S. Beneficial effects of a Paleolithic diet on cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes: a randomized cross-over pilot study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2009;8:35. [PMC free article]
Eaton SB, Cordain L, Lindeberg S. Evolutionary health promotion: a consideration of common counterarguments.
O’Dea K, Spargo RM, Akerman K. The effect of transition from traditional to urban life-style on the insulin secretory response in Australian Aborigines. Diabetes Care. 1980;3(1):31–37.
O’Dea K. Marked improvement in carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in diabetic Australian aborigines after temporary reversion to traditional lifestyle. Diabetes. 1984;33(6):596–603.
Lindeberg S, Jönsson T, Granfeldt Y, Borgstrand E, Soffman J, Sjöström K, Ahrén B. A Palaeolithic diet improves glucose tolerance more than a Mediterranean-like diet in individuals with ischaemic heart disease. Diabetologia. 2007;50(9):1795–1807. [PubMed]
Osterdahl M, Kocturk T, Koochek A, Wändell PE. Effects of a short-term intervention with a paleolithic diet in healthy volunteers. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008;62(5):682–685.
Frassetto LA, Schloetter M, Mietus-Synder M, Morris RC, Jr., Sebastian A. Metabolic and physiologic improvements from consuming a paleolithic, hunter-gatherer type diet. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009;63(8):947–955.
8. Jönsson T, Ahrén B, Pacini G, Sundler F, Wierup N, Steen S, Sjöberg T, Ugander M, Frostegård J, Göransson L, Lindeberg S. A Paleolithic diet confers higher insulin sensitivity, lower C-reactive protein and lower blood pressure than a cereal-based diet in domestic pigs. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2006;3:39. [PMC free article]
Lasker DA, Evans EM, Layman DK. Moderate carbohydrate, moderate protein weight loss diet reduces cardiovascular disease risk compared to high carbohydrate, low protein diet in obese adults: a randomized clinical trial. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2008;5:30. [PMC free article]
Jew S, AbuMweiss SS, Jones PJ. Evolution of human diet: linking our ancestral diet to modern functional foods as a means of chronic disease prevention. J Med Food. 2009;12:925–934.
Milton K. The critical role played by animal source foods in human (Homo) evolution. J Nutr. 2003;133(11 Suppl 2):3886S–3892S.
A.H. Lichtenstein, L.J. Appel, M. Brands, et al.